When it comes to esports betting, there are a few titles that stand out more than others, and Overwatch is certainly one of them. This Overwatch League betting guide will provide useful information about the event’s schedule and format, the different teams participating, betting options and markets, odds, and more. So if you’re thinking about dipping your toe into Overwatch betting, be sure to read our guide.
While Overwatch definitely had a bit of a drop-off in popularity in 2020 and 2021, just like the esports betting scene, both things are getting back to their prime glory in 2022. The main reason behind this is due to the development of Overwatch 2. In 2021, it was only accessible to professional players, and while the game is more or less the same, regular players and viewers could not play the same game they were watching in the OWL. Now that the game is not only further in development, with some heroes getting reworks such as Bastion, Orisa, Sombra, and a few others, as well as the fact that Overwatch 2 is available in beta for regular players, watching and betting on OWL will feel much better.
Even if the Overwatch 2 is still in its early form and the official release date is yet to be announced, being able to play and watch the same game certainly sparked a new interest in the game while also reviving it in the players and viewers that decided to drop Overwatch as their esport.
Overwatch League Schedule and Format
|Kickoff Clash Qualifiers||May 5th – May 29th|
|Dallas Fuel Kickoff Clash Tournament||June 2nd – June 5th|
|Midseason Madness Qualifiers||June 16th – July 10th|
|Midseason Madness Global Tournament||July 18th – July 23rd|
|Summer Showdown Qualifiers||August 11th – September 4th|
|Summer Showdown Tournament||September 8th – September 11th|
|Countdown Cup Qualifiers||September 22nd – October 10th
|Countdown Cup Play-Ins||October 14th – October 23rd|
|Overwatch League 2022 Season Playoffs||October 31st – November 5th|
OWL 2022 is spicing things up a bit from the previously used format by making the tournament take part in four stages. The first and third stages are regional, while the second and final stages are international.
While the regional parts of the tournament are as same as always, where you can bet on the teams in either the west or the east region, the second stage called the “Midseason Madness Global Tournament,” will give esports enthusiasts an option to bet on even more matches, and not just any matches, but ones played between both western and eastern teams, something that was only possible in the finals in previous years.
In order to participate in the final stage of the tournament, which is the Playoffs for the Countdown Cup and the best time of the year for Overwatch betting, teams will earn League Points throughout the season. Here is the official information about League Points:
- Teams will get 1 League Point for every qualifier match win.
- Every team that qualifies for a regional tournament will receive 1 League Point regardless of wins during the tournament.
- The second-place team at each regional tournament will receive 2 total League Points, while the tournament champions will receive 3 total League Points.
- The Midseason Madness Global Tournament will offer a heftier reward: the third-place team will receive 2 total League Points, the second-place team 3 total League Points, and the champions 4 total League Points. As with the regional tournaments, every team that qualifies for the midseason event will receive 1 League Point.
20 teams enter the race for the coveted trophy, which provides punters with multiple Overwatch League betting opportunities.
|West Region Teams||East Region Teams|
|Atlanta Reign||Chengdu Hunters|
|Dallas Fuel||Hangzhou Spark|
|Florida Mayhem||Los Angeles Valiant|
|Houston Outlaws||Philadelphia Fusion|
|London Spitfire||Seoul Dynasty|
|Los Angeles Gladiators||Shanghai Dragons|
|New York Execlsior|
|San Francisco Shock|
2022 Prize Pool
The prize pool is going to be at least $1,000,000.
More details will be announced later this year.
Best Sites for Betting on Overwatch League
The Overwatch League is a tournament of exceptional magnitude and it enjoys the attention it deserves at online bookmakers. Traditional bookies, as well as esportsbooks provide ample coverage of the event.
- GG.bet is the obvious choice for all types of esports, Overwatch included. It publishes the odds well in advance, which makes them an excellent bookmaker for those who want to bet on the outright winners.
- Bet365 esports has long been the first choice for live betting and quickly added Overwatch to the list. Players from several US states that have legalized online betting can wager on the flagship event live.
- Betway is a UK GC licensed and regulated bookie, offering stellar Overwatch League betting options. Competitive odds on live betting and ante-post markets make them easy to recommend to UK players.
Overwatch League Betting Options
There are multiple ways to enjoy betting on the Overwatch League, but these are the most popular options
- Moneyline wagers: bet on the winner of individual matches and the team to prevail in a series.
- Outright bets: wager on the winner of the tournament, before and after the event has started.
- Live betting: bet on the match-winner, as well as special markets after the team has started.
Overwatch League Betting Markets
The Overwatch League provides punters with multiple avenues towards winning bets. In addition to outright winner and money line wagers, punters can also try special bets. These are inspired by the mainstream markets and have the merit of making the game more exciting, while offering higher odds.
- Single bets: add a single selection on the betting slip and cash in if it wins, to mitigate the risks.
- Accumulator bets: add multiple events to have the odds multiplied together and win larger sums.
- In-game events: bet on teams and players to complete specific in-game objectives.
- First and total numbers of kills: bet on the first blood, or try the over/under kill totals.
- Spread betting: predict the winning margin to bet on underdogs and favorites to cover the spread.
Overwatch League Betting Tips
Given the magnitude of this Overwatch tournament and the quality of the teams involved, there’s a lot of information to be found about the event. Research goes a long way and punters who spend enough time analyzing the teams, players and trends can win big. These are some of the proven betting tips that can help players maximize their chances to win.
- Play the game before betting – being a player has the advantage of better understanding the gameplay. It will help you place winning bets pregame, but this kind of knowledge is invaluable when betting live.
- Specialize on a few teams – narrow down the scope of betting and focus on a handful of teams that you follow throughout the season. Keep track of player form and how they match against specific opponents.
- Don’t bet on personal favorites – the Overwatch League is a major tournament involving the best teams in the world. Don’t place money on the team you support, but instead bet on the ones you expect to win.
Overwatch League Odds
The sheer size of the Overwatch League means that you can bet on this tournament at all the important bookmakers. Shop for the best Overwatch odds and keep track of their movement as soon as they are posted.
Plays ante-post wagers on favorites early and waits a bit longer when betting on the underdogs, as the odds are likely to rise.
The average return to player should exceed 90%, with the best bookies offering as much as 1.95 on coin flip matches. Check out the Overwatch odds below:
Overwatch League Past Winners
Savvy punters look at past results when preparing their Overwatch League betting strategy for the current season. The Shanghai Draongs stand out from the crowd as the strongest contender after winning the 2021 tournament.
Some of the best Overwatch players in the world compete for this squad, with big names like the team captain Jun-woo “Void” Kang, the MVP of OWL 2020 Byung-sun “Fleta” Kim, and last year’s MVP Jae-won “LIP” Lee.
London Spitfire won the first Overwatch League and remained a strong contender for the seasons to come. The same can be said for San Francisco Shock, which won OWL in 2019 and 2020.
Philadelphia Fusion, Vancouver Titans, Seoul Dynasty, and Atlanta Reign were the runners-up in 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 respectively.
Overwatch League Champions
|2020||San Francisco Shock|
|2019||San Francisco Shock|