The Dota 2 TI brackets for TI12 are presented as a separate phase entirely from the Group Stage. Hosted at a different venue from the Group Stage, the International brackets of the Playoffs Stage will offer the very best competitive Dota of an entire season of competition – 16 out of 20 teams will advance to these brackets. In this featured article, we’re diving into the fine details of how the Dota 2 TI brackets work.
When will Dota 2 TI brackets teams be confirmed?
At the time of writing, the Dota 2 TI brackets and matches are yet to be confirmed.
As per the Dota 2 The International schedule, we’ll have our seeds for the Playoffs once the Group Stage concludes on Oct. 15, 2023. Seeding from this ‘Road to the International’ is as follows for the four groups of five into Phase Two:
- Top 2 – matches with 3rd/4th of opposite group (A/B and C/D)
- 3-4th – matches with 1st/2nd of opposite group (A/B and C/D)
- 5th – eliminated
From Phase Two, the remaining 16 teams play eight BO3 head-to-head matches – results determine seeding in the Dota 2 TI brackets.
Once in the TI brackets 2023, two weeks of competition with exciting TI12 odds will decide the winner:
- October 20-22, 2023 – Playoffs Weekend – Seattle Convention Center’s Summit
- October 27-29, 2023 – Finals Weekend – Climate Pledge Arena
A double-elimination bracket has eight teams starting in the Upper Bracket and eight in the Lower Bracket. Notably, the Grand Final is BO5, and all other series are BO3 for the TI brackets 2023.
Group Stage: Road to Playoffs
All 20 competing teams have been confirmed, with 12 teams seeded from the Dota Pro Circuit and 8 having to fight through Regional Qualifiers. Here’s a table with all the teams:
|Dota Pro Circuit
|Team Liquid, Gaimin Gladiators, Tundra Esports, 9Pandas, Evil Geniuses, PSG.LGD, Shopify Rebellion, Talon Esports, beastcoast, Team Spirit, TSM, BetBoom Team
|Keyd Stars, Thunder Awaken
|Entity, Quest Esports
However, teams are yet to be randomly seeded into their respective Groups. As we’ll reiterate, how teams are seeded will influence the Phase Two matches, which will affect the seeding into the Dota 2 TI brackets.
Read our Dota 2 TI power rankings for insights into who we think will make it out on top early on.
Ahead of the Dota 2 TI brackets, it’s essential to keep track of the Group Stage.
Structure of The International Playoffs Bracket
Arguably, the double elimination bracket is the best format for the highest quality competition.
- Double elimination means that teams starting in the Upper Bracket need to lose twice in order to be completely eliminated from the event.
- While losses demote teams to the Lower Bracket and possibly elimination, winning allows a team to progress through the bracket and potentially to the Grand Final.
- As a staple of TI brackets 2023, the double elimination bracket also allows teams who performed well in the Group Stage to be rewarded – heightening the stakes of these earlier matches.
From the Group Stage, teams who’ve made it into the Upper Bracket include Team Spirit, Virtus.pro, Team Liquid, Talon Esports, LGD Gaming, 9Pandas, nouns and Azure Ray.
Meanwhile, the likes of Shopify Rebellion, TSM, Evil Geniuses, Gaimin Gladiators, Keyd Stars, BetBoom Team, Tundra Esports and Entity started in the Lower Bracket.
Starting in the Lower Bracket means two things:
- Firstly, one loss means that you’re packing your bags.
- Secondly, you’ll be playing a greater number of matches to stay in the tournament.
Once the prevailing team reaches the Lower Bracket Final in the TI brackets 2023, they’ll face the loser of the Winner Bracket Final to earn a spot in the Grand Final.
Playing more games means revealing your strategies and ideas to other teams. Every team will be watching and preparing to face the team in an upcoming match. Such factors are worth considering for Dota The International betting.
In addition, this Lower Bracket Final has allowed for some spectacular stories in past Dota 2 TI brackets, such as Team Spirit’s incredible run to stay alive and win TI 2021.
Prize Pool for Dota 2 The International 2023
Apart from being the peak of the competition, each The International bracket matches allows participating teams to climb the standings and earn a larger piece of the prize pool.
Seemingly, the Dota 2 TI12 prize pool for 2023 is not going to be as impressive as previous iterations. Last year’s prize pool sat at $18.9 million.